Detailed narrative description of actual
services provided by Poseidon Aquatic
Resource Management Ltd:
Poseidon contibuted to thefollowing tasks:
1. Mapping the ORs maritime scene:
Mapping the economic activities in the blue economy in each OR and sea basin
- Deepened the analysis by drafting structured fiches that show the main data and findings for the OR blue economy.
- Described the synergies and tensions between maritime activities, and their contribution to a sustainable development policy of the ORs towards a more independent and self-sufficient growth.
- Identified good practices and flagship projects.
- Conducted a gap analysis of required skills, infrastructure, research and data, as well as other factors that stand on the way of sustainable Blue Growth.
- Proposed an update of DG MARE website, OR information section,
Mapping the main actors of the OR's blue economy:
- Mapped the main relevant public authorities and summarise the existing maritime strategies, being at the level of the MS (with OR impact), of each geographical basin (Caribbean-Amazonia, Macaronesia, Indian Ocean) and each OR.
- Maped the main stakeholders for each OR and sea basin (such as umbrella organisations, sector associations, clusters, main socio-economic actors, etc.).
2. Recommendations for sustainable ORs blue growth
- Analysed growth drivers and barriers of the ORs blue economy sectors.
- Assessed the future potential covering the mature economic activities.
- Provided sector reviews of the 6-8 most relevant maritime economic activities, by focussing on a geographical basin perspective on workforce and hiring characteristics, administrative burdens, restrictive practices and sources of finance.
Identify public intervention
- Provided an analysis on potential measures (with their policy rationale) that the EU, MS and ORs could take to stimulate growth, both in terms of financial and legislative measures, in the fields of infrastructure, research, education and others.
- Identified ORs potential contributions to the IMP & BG transversal initiatives, such as Marine knowledge, Maritime Spatial Planning, Integrated Maritime Surveillance and Maritime Security Strategy.
- Identified potential projects to be submitted in the broad context of the financial framework 2014-2020, through the Atlantic Assistance Mechanism
Contribute to the external dimension: Identified the potential roles and contributions of the ORs in the:
- Transatlantic Ocean Research Alliance (for Atlantic ORs)
- EU neighbourhood actions
- Ocean governance