Strategic Action Plan: Marine and Coastal Environment of the Red Sea and Gulf of Aden Regional (Egypt, Jordan, Saudi Arabia, Sudan, Djibouti, Somalia and Yemen)
PERSGA Secretariat - Project Dates:
May 2003 - July 2003
Description of Project:
The Regional Organization for the Conservation of the Environment of the Red Sea and Gulf of Aden (PERSGA) is executing the Strategic Action Programme (SAP) funded by the World Bank, United Nations Development Programme (UNDP), the United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP) and other donor organisations. The SAP was prepared following an extensive analysis of regional environmental issues and has been endorsed by the PERSGA Council of Ministers. The SAP provides a cooperatively developed framework for the long-term conservation and management of the coastal and marine resources of the Region. A programme of activities is being carried out through six complementary components: reduction of navigation risks and maritime pollution, the promotion of integrated coastal zone management, sustainable use of living marine resources, conservation of habitats and biodiversity, the establishment of marine protected areas, and the enhancement of public awareness and participation.
Preparation of a regional training workshop in Jeddah, Saudi Arabia on monitoring and evaluation methodologies and report preparation for a series of regional demonstration projects as part of the Red Sea and Gulf of Aden ‘Strategic Action Plan’. The Poseidon consultant conduced the following activities:
a) Preparatory Phase:
- Advised and prepared the training workshop kit, materials and programme
b) Actual Delivery (Training workshop):
- Prepared the hands-out materials and presentation regarding Logframe; M & E; sustainability, and reporting format and methodology;
- Present these materials to the nominated trainees (c. 12 persons); seven countries from the region (maximum 7 persons besides PERSGA and SAP staff about 5 persons);
- Provided on- the- job training by using the actual proposals as case studies; and advised and exchanged experience with the trainees in order to enhance their capabilities.
- Assist the trainees to develop the M & E indicators based on their demonstration proposals.
Assessed the needs of the countries to fulfil the above, further to the development of indicators, strategies for sustainability based on the case-by-case proposals.