Fisheries economics and trade
Support for the preparation of central and provincial fisheries budgets Cambodia
DG Development (European Commission) - Project Dates:
November 2018 - January 2019
Description of Project:
The overall objective of the assignment was to contribute to the formulation of the Ministry of Agriculture, Fisheries and Forestry (MAFF) Agricultural Sector Development Plan (ASDP) 2019-2023, which will serve as the basis for MAFF and its various budget entities for their annual (programme-budget) and 3-year (Budget Strategic Plan [BSP]) planning and budgeting, with the objective to promote sustainable fisheries development within the scope of the Strategic Planning Framework for Fisheries (SPF).
The specific objective of assignment was to support the Fisheries Administration (FiA) and the Department of Planning and Statistics (DPS) of MAFF to formulate the draft of the "Fisheries programme" of the new Agricultural Sector Development Plan (ASDP) 2019-2023.
More specifically this means that the assignment was intended to support the preparation of:
- The fisheries programme 3 of MAFF’s ASDP.
- The Fisheries Cantonment (FiAC) parts of Provincial-level ASPDs (PASDPs).
A Poseidon expert's role of the expert was a facilitatory one, with ultimate responsibility for preparation of the fisheries programme 3 of the ASDP, and the FiAC parts of the PASDPs, resting with FiA and the FiACs respectively.
The consultations and inputs completed during the assignment generated the following results.
- Agreement over the need and benefit of having one version of the central-level fisheries programme 3 for MAFF’s ASDP, and an expanded version for use by FiA over the period 2019-2023.
- Collection of data on donor funding potentially available over the 2019-2023 period, allocated by year and ASDP cluster (something that was not previously available).
- Sensitisation of donors over the contents of the central-level fisheries programme 3 ASDP (although needs to be further enhanced), and the processes at provincial-level to prepare the content of fisheries programme 3 PASDPs.
- Sensitisation of PDAFF and FiAC staff over the content of fisheries programme 3 PASDPs, which they had previously had no exposure to.
- Significant amendments and improvements to a draft central-level ASDP document that had been prepared by FiA prior to the assignment.
- Agreement of the content of the central-level fisheries programme 3 for MAFF’s ASDP.
- Agreement of the content of the expanded version for use by FiA over the period 2019-2023.
- Agreement for both the short central-level ASDP and the expanded version, and in the PASDPs being prepared by FiACs, about indicators.
- Development in draft form (in various stages of readiness) of the content of fisheries programme 3 PASDPs for 23 of 25 FiACs, and agreement over steps that need to be taken to finalise them.
- Preparation and submission to the EUD and FiA of a separate MS Excel file (not formally a requirement of the assignment) summarising all indicators (with baseline and target data).